Request a Consultation
Offering Phone, Video, and In-Person Consultations 608-784-8310

What Should I do if I am Hurt on the Job?

Every year there are millions of reported work injuries in the United States. Some injuries are extremely serious while others are relatively minor. According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were about 2.8 million non- fatal workplace injuries and 5,147 fatal workplace injuries reported in the United States in 2017. What all work-related injuries have in common is that the worker is generally covered by workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation is designed to provide employees with financial coverage of damages due to injuries sustained while on the job.

What to do After an Injury

Workplace injuries may be acute and caused by an accident or they could be chronic and caused over time. The first step is to report the injury to your employer as soon as it occurs. This is essential in obtaining the best results in your case. Your employer should provide all employees with information regarding how to report an injury and where to seek medical care.

In Wisconsin, workers’ compensation is administered by the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development (DWD). You should seek immediate medical treatment, even if you feel the injury may be minor. Your employer is required to report the injury to their workers’ compensation insurance company, which will then report the injury to the DWD.

It is essential to report the injury quickly and to save all medical records that document the injury. You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits that include full medical coverage of all the expenses related to your on-the-job injury as well as partial salary compensation while you are out of work due to your injury.

Once a claim is created it remains open for a period of at least six years from the date of the injury or the last payment, whichever is later. Some claims could stay open longer. Therefore, it is advisable to save all of your medical records and payment details for at least 12 years.

How a Wisconsin Workers’ Compensation Attorney Will Help

While the workers’ compensation claim process may seem straightforward, it is not always that easy. Once the DWD receives a claim, it reviews it and either approves or denies the claim. You should generally start to receive benefit payments within about two weeks of your injury. However, sometimes this does not happen. If your claim is in question or is denied, you might not get the benefits you deserve.

An experienced Wisconsin workers’ compensation attorney will assist you with your claim from start to finish. It is often a good idea to contact a lawyer immediately after your injury. This will ensure that the process is handled properly and that the information provided as part of the claim is sufficient for approval. You certainly do not want to be without the money you and your family needs to survive.

If you were hurt at work, you might be entitled to compensation. Contact our legal team at Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd. for the help you need to get the money you deserve.

Published January 7, 2019
Contact MSM Online Bill Pay